Report a fault or emergency
If your fault or emergency is life-threatening or dangerous, please call 000 for emergency assistance immediately.
Moving in or out

First, you will need to sign up with Real Utilities.
Call 1300 16 16 68 and our customer service team will sign you up.
Once we know who you are, where you are moving in to and when, a Real Utilities account will be created, and we will arrange for the electricity to be connected. A standard connection should occur the next business day after Real Utilities receives your completed registration or one business day before you are due to move in.
For the service to be connected on the same business day, we will need to receive your application before 11am.

If you’re needing to be reconnected to the energy grid, then a connection fee will apply. The disconnection fee is charged when the you move out and the home needs to be disconnected from the power grid.

Fee amount is applicable based on the network jurisdiction of the supply address as per the below, rates are GST inclusive:

Ausgrid – $16.50
Endeavour - $41.58
Energex - $11.58
United - $54.51

You may be charged a higher connection fee if you request an urgent connection, outside of normal business hours.

Log in to your Real Utilities ‘My Account’ and complete the move out notification or call us on 1300 16 16 68 and tell us when you are moving out.

Your electricity smart meter will provide us with a final reading at midnight on the day you move out, and it will be remotely de-energised at that time.

It’s very important that you let us know your move out date.

If you don’t tell us that you are moving out, you’ll remain responsible for all electricity used at the premises until Real Utilities receive a new registration.

For example, if you move out without telling us and a new resident moves in without registering a new account, you are still responsible for paying for all electricity used until a new registration is received.


Real Utilities will bill you for your usage monthly.

The easiest and most convenient way to pay your account is by direct debit.

Direct debit can be setup to link to your credit card or bank account and ensures that your account is always paid on time, allowing you peace of mind. You can set up direct debit when you first register or by calling us on 1300 16 16 68.

You can also pay your account by;

- Online – visit Pay my bill
- Phone – by calling 1300 16 16 68
- BPAY – using the details provided on your bill
- EFT – using the details provided on your bill
- Centrepay – by calling 1300 16 16 68

If you’re having trouble paying your account, please call us on 1300 16 16 68 and let us know.

We may be able to offer you an extension to pay your bill. You may also qualify for a payment plan or government funded concession.

Please don’t leave it too late to call us because if we don’t know you are having trouble, it may result in disconnection and associated charges.

The layout of your account is set by the Australian Energy Regulator and includes

- Your name and address
- Your meter identification number
- Your account number
- Issue date
- Usage details
- Date of meter reading or estimate
- Billing period
- Service charges
- Tariff you are being charged
- Total Charge for the period
- Payment methods
- Payments received
- Overdue amounts
- Payment due date
- A telephone number for account enquiries

Most people consistently use their electricity each month. In summer we turn our cooling on and in winter, we turn our heating on so there would usually be little change in the electricity you use from month to month.

If you experience an unusually higher or lower account, it could be related to higher or lower usage during unusually hotter or colder weather.

Real Utilities data management systems allow us to identify unusual usage patterns.

If you ask us to check your meter, we can have a technician attend and test if your meter is faulty.

There is a charge for this service, and if the meter is found not to be faulty, we will ask you to pay for this service.

If the meter is found to be faulty, we will fix the problem, and we will cover all costs.

Some other reasons for higher-than-normal usage or changes in usage patterns are:

- New electricity appliances
- More people using electricity in your residence
- More days in the month, e.g. January and March accounts are usually higher than the February account because February can be two or three days shorter

- A direct debit dishonour fee is charged to your account whenever your direct debit payment has failed to process.

- This will happen if your nominated financial institution rejects the direct debit request because of lack of funds.

If the payment is dishonoured twice in one billing period and any subsequent periods, the direct debit arrangement is cancelled, and all bills will then need to be paid each month manually.

No, we do not charge a fee for paying by Visa or MasterCard credit cards. We do not accept Diners or American Express.

Paperless Billing

Going paperless is simple:

1. Log into your account
2. Go to Billing & Payment
3. Select Billing & Payment Options
4. Click Edit under “How to receive my bill”
5. Select the Email option and click Save

Or call 1300 16 16 68 to speak with a member of our team about choosing paperless.

There are several reasons to switch to paperless billing, including:

Less paper used to print bills, meaning more trees saved from deforestation
• Reduce paper clutter around your house
• Bills delivered straight to your inbox – no risk of getting delayed or lost in the mail
• Avoid being charged a Paper Bill Fee

The Paper Bill Fee is $2.65 ex GST per month and covers the ongoing costs associated with printing and posting paper bills.

Customers receiving paper bills will be charged the fee.

However, there are exemptions and if any of the below apply to you, you will not be charged a paper bill fee:

You live in New South Wales
• You’re a concession or pension cardholder (valid concession cards only)
• You’re a life support customer
• You’re a hardship customer

If your circumstances change and none of the above exemptions apply to you, then a paper bill fee will apply if you choose ‘post’ as a bill delivery preference. We suggest you change your bill delivery preference to email to avoid this fee.

Please call 1300 16 16 68 to speak with a member of our team and discuss your options.

In line with the rules set out by New South Wales government, residential customers are exempt from being charged paper bill fees.

My Account

All personal account details are kept as secure as possible. For more information on how we handle your information, you can view our Privacy Policy.

‘My Account’ is where you can access your account at any time and allows you to;

- View your current and historical accounts
- Pay your bill
- Advise us that you will be moving out and when
- Contact us with any questions you may have regarding our services
- View your current and historical accounts

Power of Choice

Yes, you can choose to use another electricity retailer if you wish.

Real Utilities benchmarks its gas and electricity rates in four times each year against the current publicly advertised discount rates of each of the three biggest energy retailers in your area to ensure Real Utilities rates are cheaper. This benchmarking process does not apply in relation to heating, cooling and hot water costs in developments that utilise thermal power.

Let us have the details of the offer from the major retailer, and if it’s genuine, we will consider matching, or better.

Carbon Neutral

Carbon Neutrality is the result of carbon offsetting, a process that involves a reduction in emissions of carbon dioxide (or greenhouse gases) in order to compensate for, or to offset, an emission already made elsewhere.

The Climate Active Carbon Neutral Standard sets the conditions to become carbon neutral.

The Australian Government’s Carbon Neutral Program certifies organisations, products and services as carbon neutral against the requirements of the Standard.

Real Utilities uses renewable energy sources and/or purchased carbon offsets to make our energy usage carbon neutral, and we are Certified Carbon Neutral by Climate Active.

For more information about the Climate Active Carbon Neutral Standard see:

Life Support
If you, or anyone at your home or business premises depends on life support (or to put this another way, are ‘life support dependent’), this needs to be registered on your account.

Life support equipment means the following:

- an oxygen concentrator;
- an intermittent peritoneal dialysis machine;
- a kidney dialysis machine;
- a chronic positive airways pressure respirator;
- CriglerNajjar syndrome phototherapy equipment;
- a ventilator for life support; and
- in relation to a particular customer—any other equipment that a registered medical practitioner certifies is required for a person residing at the customer’s premises for life support.

It’s very important you let us know if you or another person at your premises requires life support equipment. You can do this by contacting us and we will send you related information and a Medical Confirmation Form to complete.

A Medical Confirmation Form is a form used to confirm information Real Utilities requires to register a premises as needing life support equipment. By completing this form and sending it back to us, we will have the information we require.

Premises that have a Medical Confirmation Form have additional protections against disconnection to your service. Premises that do not have a Medical Confirmation Form may be de-registered, and these additional protections will cease to apply.

You have no less than 51 business days to reply to our request for a Medical Confirmation Form. If you require additional time to respond, please contact us.

Yes, however where the disconnection is planned, we or your distributor will give you notice as required by the National Energy Retail Rules.

Your electricity supply may also be disconnected in an emergency or where there is a fault in the electricity network. You will not have any prior notice of such disconnections.

If you would like further assistance in planning for electricity supply interruptions, please contact us.

Firstly, if there is a risk of injury or death you should call Emergency Services on 000.

If your electricity is disconnected without notice you can also contact your distributor – we will provide their contact details to you once you have notified us of your life support requirements.

Once you notify us that someone at your premises requires life support equipment, we will register this information, including the date from which the life support equipment is required. We will update this information you advise us that this information has changed. We’ll also provide relevant information about your life support equipment requirements and your relevant contact details to your distributor, to ensure that your distributor also has an updated record of your requirements.

You should contact us if there is no longer a need for life support at the premises or if you are planning to move.

If you later decide to change retailer at your premises and a person residing at your premises continues to require life support equipment, you should advise your new retailer of that person’s requirements.

Energy Usage

A smart meter is an electricity meter with added functionality. Unlike the passive 'accumulation' meters, which only read the amount of electricity used between readings every few months, smart meters digitally record data about energy consumption in 30-minute increments.

The price you pay for your energy service includes the tariff and any other fees and charges that may apply under your contract. Tariffs listed on your bill do not include GST - this is added to the total amount owing at the end of your bill.

A Customer Read Estimate, or ‘Self-Read’, is when you read your own meter. If you have received a bill which shows we have estimated your energy usage, you may be able to ask us to change your bill based on your own reading of your meter. This guidance sets out when, and how, you can submit a Customer Read Estimate and when we will alter your bill based on your own reading.
Important: For your Customer Read Estimate to be accepted by Real Utilities you must submit your customer read to us before the due date of your bill.

A meter is installed at your property to measure how much gas or electricity is being used. There are several different types of meters available to record and display your usage. Different meters record and display information differently.

Real Utilities only uses smart meters that can record when electricity has been used.

Sometimes, under the terms and conditions of your customer retail contract, we will estimate your bill. We do this, for example, when we have been unable to access your meter.

You’ll be able to submit a Customer Read Estimate if:
- You are a residential customer
- You are a small business customer
- Your bill is based on an estimate

Contact us if you are unsure if this is you.

If you wish to submit your own read to us as a Customer Read Estimate, we need to receive your read before the due date of your bill. You’ll need to take a clear photo of the meter display and send it to us at

- Name
- Address
- National Metering Identifier (NMI) (which will be listed in your last bill)
- Clear photo of the meter display

Electricity meters and the area in which they are located are designed with safety and security in mind; however, they can still pose dangers. When approaching your meter, be aware of any potential hazards. Look for exposed wires and damage to the meter or metering box. If there appears to be any damage or anything else hazardous about the situation, immediately leave the area and contact your building manager or Real Utilities.

Digital Display Meters

Your smart meter will have a digital display, which looks similar to the odometer of your car. You’ll need to cycle through the displays until you reach the display that has the letters ‘kw/h’. Kw/h is the total number of kilowatt hours consumed, and what your electricity usage is measured in.

To determine your energy usage for the period, subtract the meter reading from your last bill from your Customer Read Estimate of the meter.

Real Utilities will not accept and adjust a bill on the basis of your Customer Read Estimate, where:

- The photo does not clearly show the display or appears to be tampered with in some way;
- The meter in the photograph is not your meter;
- We have reason to believe that the meter has been tampered with in some way to arrive at that reading;
- We receive it after the due date for payment of the bill; and/or
- The number value of your customer read estimate provided for cumulative energy consumed is smaller than a previous actual read of your meter.

If we do not accept your Customer Read Estimate, you have the right to:

- Make a complaint to us which we will consider in line with our Standard Complaints and Disputes Resolution Policy;
- Complain or lodge a dispute with your states Ombudsman
- Request that we review your bill in accordance with our Standard Complaints and Disputes Resolution Policy

If you request that we install a new smart meter at your property, and we agree, there are some rules we must follow.

If you are not sure whether you are a small customer, you can contact Real Utilities either via phone (1300 16 68 68), or email.

Two types of meter exchange may occur: a ‘simple meter exchange’ and a ‘complex meter exchange’.

Simple Meter Exchange

A simple meter exchange is the most common type of meter replacement, and there is no need to make any other alterations to your electricity connection. In these cases, we will generally replace your meter within 15 business days and seek to agree with you on a timeline for the installation of the meter.

There are some circumstances where the 15 business day timeframe will not apply for a simple meter exchange, including:

- If you have not provided the information we need from you in order to install the meter;
- The site for installing your meter is not safe or accessible;
- The site is not yet ready for meter installation as all the work required to do so is not yet complete;
- Installing the meter will require us to interrupt the electricity supply of other customers;
- You've entered into an aggregated electricity consumption agreement with us that says the timeframes don't apply.

Complex Meter Exchange

In a complex meter exchange, we need to make changes to your connection, which also require the help of the company responsible for your local electricity lines (the ‘distributor’). These cases include an alteration to your connection as well as the replacement of a meter. This can happen, for example, where you have bought an appliance that needs three phase electricity supply, and your connection needs to be upgraded to allow for this. In these cases, we will generally replace your meter within 15 business days and seek to agree with you on a timeline for the installation of the meter.

There are some circumstances where the 15 business day timeframe will not apply for a complex meter exchange, including:

- If you have not provided the information we need from you in order to install the meter;
- The site for installing your meter is not safe or accessible;
- The site is not yet ready for meter installation as all the work required to do so is not yet complete;
- Installing the meter will require us to interrupt the electricity supply of other customers;
- You've entered into an aggregated electricity consumption agreement with us that says the timeframes don't apply.

The above timeframes do not apply when Real Utilities have initiated the deployment of new meters.

Opt out

If you do not wish to be contacted by Real Utilities for marketing purposes, you can join our No Contact list by calling 1300 16 16 68.

How do I make a complaint?

We have an easy accessible complaints process in place should something go wrong. Please note that you also always have the option to contact the Energy & Water Ombudsman at any time for independent advice or assistance or for a review of the outcome of your complaint to us. 

The current contact details for the Energy Ombudsman in each state are below:

a. Energy & Water Ombudsman NSW

Free call: 1800 246 545
Free fax: 1800 812 291
Mail: Reply Paid 86550, Sydney South NSW 1234

b. Energy & Water Ombudsman VIC

Free call: 1800 500 509
Free fax: 1800 500 509
Mail: Reply Paid 469 Melbourne VIC 8060

c. Energy & Water Ombudsman QLD

Free call: 1800 662 837
Free fax: (07) 3087 9477
Mail: PO Box 3640 South Brisbane BC Qld 4101

For further information, view our complaints policy here.