5 Tips For a Healthier 2023
At the top of many people’s new year's resolutions lists is to live a healthier lifestyle.
The beginning of a new year is an opportunity to reflect, reset and make resolutions. At the top of many people’s new year's resolutions lists is to live a healthier lifestyle. Maintaining a healthy lifestyle can be challenging, but making improvements in your health and wellbeing is attainable this year.
Here are 5 tips to get you started on your journey to a healthier 2023.
1. Move your body
Regular physical exercise is one of the best ways to maintain a healthy body and mind, and while a busy schedule and home life can make regular exercise more challenging it is possible to move your body more in 2023.
- Join a class. Ed.Square Town Centre has a number of businesses offering fitness classes and wellness programs to give you the encouragement and motivation to keep moving. From gyms, pilates, yoga and kickboxing there is something for every fitness level and interest. Visit Health and Wellbeing services at Ed.
- Go for a walk. Taking a brisk walk is a free and simple way to get active. Ed makes it easy with walkways and lush pocket parks and local parklands to explore. Walking groups are also a great idea. Check out the Heart Foundation Walking website for a walking group in your local area, or you can start your own group with neighbours and colleagues.
- It’s #takethestairsday on 11 January, the perfect opportunity to join others around the globe and add some extra pep to your step. Get inspired and take the stairs instead of the elevator as often as you can. Every step counts!
2. Cook up something new
Everyone wants to eat healthier in the new year, but it’s not always about diets and weight loss after the holiday season. Adding a variety of foods to your weekly menu and meal plan is a great way to enjoy a more balanced diet that includes all the good stuff, like fresh fruits and vegetables.
- Try a new recipe. Spice up your meals by trying a new recipe every week. There are plenty of healthy recipes to find online or you can grab a copy of the latest Coles magazine at your next grocery shop, it’s free and offers plenty of tasty recipes to cook at home. You can also visit Coles Recipe Inspiration.
- Go for fruits and vegetables that are in season and fresh local produce like fish and meat. With a range of fresh food options at Ed, you will have plenty of reasons to try something new and add some diversity to your diet. Visit - Fresh Food at Ed.
3. Create family goals
Setting aside time to create family goals is a great way to bond with loved ones and start the year strong. Maybe you are committed to screen-free meals this year. Perhaps you simply want to have more fun together. Goal-setting as a family doesn’t need to be a daunting or a time-consuming task.
- Start small. Attempting to accomplish too much, too quickly can put stress on the process. Start with one agreed goal and work toward a common outcome, the purpose is to take on a challenge as a family and for everyone to succeed.
- Write down your goals and be specific. For example, if the family is saving for a holiday, how much are you needing to save every week? Use a calendar or visual aid to keep track of your progress and celebrate your wins, no matter how big or small.
4. Have an annual health check
Regular check-ups and screenings can help you stay on top of your health. Ed takes healthy living seriously and recognises its commitment to keeping residents and the local community thriving. With a Medical Centre, Dentist, Chemist and more, Ed has everything you need to ensure your health is kept in check. For a full list of practitioners and health services visit Ed.Square Town Centre.
5. Manage stress levels
The start of a new year offers an opportunity to reflect on the areas of your life that could see improvement. This year, consider making simple changes to reduce stress, it may be all that is needed to increase your general happiness.
- Try Meditation. Meditation is a great practice that can help reduce stress and improve mental wellbeing. Ed is bringing a free stretch and meditation class to residents and the local community every Tuesday at the Community Space. For more information and to register for the next session, visit Gentle Stretch and Meditation Class.
- Talk to someone. If you are feeling overwhelmed and unable to find ways to alleviate stress, there are people you can talk to. Safe House Psychology at Ed provides services for individuals, couples and families to develop life-changing habits and help people cope with any of life’s various stressors and challenges.