This is our family's go to recipe and can be cooked in many variations by adding different vegetables.
1 large brown onion
|1/2 teaspoon chili powder|
|1 teaspoon nigella seeds||1 teaspoon turmeric powder|
|1 tablespoon ginger paste||1kg chicken|
|1 tablespoon garlic paste||1 teaspoon brown sugar|
|4 cardamom pods||1 1/2 teaspoon salt|
|4 cloves||1 cup natural yoghurt|
|1 teaspoon cumin powder||1 cup water|
|2 tablespoons oil|
1. Heat oil in a medium pan, saute sliced onion until soft & add nigella seeds.
2. Add ginger paste, garlic paste, cardamom pods, cloves, cumin powder, chili powder & turmeric powder. Cook for 3 - 4 minutes.
3. Add chicken & mix well with the spices, salt and sugar. Cook in oil for 5 minutes uncovered & then 20 minutes covered.
4. Add yoghurt & water and cook for another 7 minutes or until desired consistency is reached with the gravy.
5. Serve with rice or flat bread.