Facts on Australia’s newest world-class boating and lifestyle destination
Last year shaped as a big one at The Waterfront, Shell Cove.
Australia’s newest world-class boating destination, Shellharbour Marina, became an east coast landmark, with the completion of Shellharbour Marina, The Waterfront Dining Precinct & Tavern, public boat ramp and carpark, Foreshore Promenade and boardwalks all now complete and ready for the community to enjoy.
We understand there may be questions from the community that come with creating a world-class marina and new boating destination, so we have put together this page to outline the facts.
If you have any further questions, feel free to reach out direct on 13 38 38 or via www.thewaterfrontshellcove.com.au
- The boat harbour structural work completed in December 2020 where the pumps to dewater the harbour were turned off permanently. This milestone marked the commencement of the harbour flooding phase.
- By mid-January 2021, the harbour filled to the mean tide mark which enabled the pontoons to commence installation.
- The harbour water body then needed to stabilise and went through a six-week transitional monitoring period to ensure the water body met all the NSW Environment Protection Authority (EPA) water quality requirements consistently for a whole duration.
- Once the EPA was satisfied that the water quality was stable and suitable to merge with ocean water, the process to remove the sand bund at the channel entrance commenced.
- When the sand plug was removed, the harbour had a full ocean connection and became a tidal estuary.
- The harbour is now open to the public, as construction has completed.
- The Waterfront, Shell Cove will have capacity for 270 berths on completion.
- Stage 1 includes 145 berths with the additional 125 berths to be constructed as demand dictates. Construction of Stage 1 was completed in June 2021.
- Berths accommodate vessels ranging between 12 and 30m in length.
- Outer harbour facilities, including fuel and sewer pump out, are currently under construction however are not expected to open until the boat maintenance facility is complete as it is still subject to DA approval with the boat maintenance facility staged construction forecast to commence in 2022.
- The marina services centre is under construction and is forecast for completion in 2022.
- The marina berths are now available for leasing through appointed Marina Manager. Interested parties can register their details at www.shellharbourmarina.com.au
- The boat maintenance and boat lift out facilities will also be implemented with a development application expected to be lodged in 2021.
Tavern, Dining and Hotel
- The Waterfront Tavern opened in late December 2021 and is ready for the community to enjoy.
- The Waterfront Tavern will have seating for approximately 250 people and will create an estimated 50 ongoing local jobs when it opens.
- Construction of The Waterfront Dining Precinct is complete. The Waterfront Tavern Group will operate The Waterfront Dining Precinct and Tavern. Georgia Rose, a family friendly restaurant and bar open from coffee to cocktail is now open and so is Salty Squid, a high end fish and chip store. The remaining Waterfront Dining tenancies are coming soon.
- The Waterfront Dining Precinct will add further jobs to The Waterfront with an estimated mix of 150 to 200 casual, part time and full-time jobs.
- Construction of the hotel is anticipated to commence 2022 and be complete by end of 2023.
- The $100 million hotel is a key piece of the region’s tourism infrastructure program. Located right on the harbour's edge, the hotel will include 117 rooms, 32 serviced apartments and 42 residential apartments across 11 storeys. The combination of accommodation, conference and ballroom facilities, a Day Spa, three pools, bars and dining options - with an impressive deck area overlooking Shellharbour Marina - will be a major drawcard for tourists.
- The purchaser, Oscars Hotels, has more than 30 years' experience in the hospitality industry and operates 30 successful venues across NSW.
Opening of the Harbour
- Opening of the harbour and the full extent of the harbour surrounds occurred in October 2021. This included completion of Shellharbour Marina, The Waterfront Dining Precinct & Tavern, public boat ramp and car park, Foreshore Promenade and boardwalks.