The proposed modifications to the Concept Plan will result in a number of improvements and public benefits, including:
Sensitive integration of landmark buildings
• Taller buildings concentrated in the town centre and appropriate locations along the harbour waterfront;
• A landmark recognisable building that will identify Shell Cove within the broader region and attract pedestrian activity along The Waterfront, providing direct and indirect economic benefits.
Improved public space and walkability
• Higher quality and more varied public spaces throughout the precinct improving local amenity, walkability and enjoyment of the open space.
Better located community facility
• Relocating the community facility, including a library, tourist information centre and dedicated community spaces, from the western end of the town centre to a central position, adjoining the boat harbour waterfront and promenade;
• A more walkable and vibrant town centre that attracts residents and visitors to Shell Cove.
More housing options and activation
• Increased activation of the town centre resulting in a more vibrant and successful waterfront;
• Better housing mix and choice to cater for current market demand;
• More new homes located within immediate walkable distance of amenities like shopping, dining and public spaces, providing views over the wetlands and water.