SYDNEY, 19 JULY 2019
Australia’s largest privately owned food service network, PFD Food Services (PFD) new state-of-the-art 22,208 sqm facility has received a 5 Star Green Star Design & As Built rating from the Green Building Council of Australia (GBCA).
Located on Muir Road in Sydney’s Inner West suburb of Chullora, PFD’s warehouse is one of the most technologically advanced temperature-controlled food processing and distribution facilities in Australia.
Ian Barter, General Manager Commercial & Industrial Northern Region for Frasers Property Australia, comments, “Tenants are constantly seeking new sustainable techniques to drive efficiencies and hence significant cost savings to future proof their facilities. We are focused on delivering direct and tangible benefits to customers such as PFD by reducing total occupancy costs and operating expenses, whilst also improving the health and wellbeing of employers.
“Over the past few years, there has been a strong industry focus on increasing Green Star rating in facilities to achieve superior results for clients. Since the introduction of the Green Star approach, our customers have firmly embraced the concept which has helped them further align values with their customers to demonstrate a shared commitment to sustainable goals.”
He added, “As a business, Frasers Property continues to improve sustainability ratings for all of our facilities, demonstrating an ongoing commitment to market leadership.”
A 15,000 – 20,000 square metre 5 Star Green Star rated facility is expected to deliver annual average energy savings between $2.80 - $3.25 per square metre when compared with a standard building .
GBCA Chief Executive Officer Davina Rooney said, “There had been a significant boost in the industrial sector rising to the sustainability challenge, a tribute to the value owner-tenant partnerships set on Green Star.”
Over the last year more than 460 projects across Australia were certified Green Star in all sectors, taking the total to more than 2,400 projects across Australia.
“We now have more than 6.3 million square metres of Green Star certified industrial space in Australia across almost 300 industrial projects,” Ms Rooney said.
“It is through the leadership of companies like Frasers Property Australia we are seeing such strong results. These changes lower ongoing operating costs, while reducing the overall carbon emissions – benefitting us all.”
A climate change risk assessment was undertaken prior to working commencing on the project and was incorporated into the design to minimise the impacts of climate change.
Important sustainability features include:
- The refrigeration system utilises an ammonium system that has a zero-ozone depleting potential as well as zero global warming.
- 750kW solar system, generating 1,023 megawatts a year, which is calculated to offset all of the lighting, power, and air-conditioning for the main office.
- 550kL rainwater tank for washdown of spaces, truck wash, irrigation of the landscape, toilet flushing, and refrigeration.
- Syphonic drainage systems have been installed to ensure large volumes of water can be discharged quickly to limit the water overflow of gutters.
- The roof is fitted with a CoolMax product to reduce heat gain in the climate-controlled warehouse and to mitigate urban heat island risk.
- LED lighting with daylight and motion sensors in the office.
- Landscaping selection of natives and resilient planting to minimise water consumption as well as an automatic water irrigation system that captures rainwater directly to each garden bed.
- Rehabilitation of existing site and surrounding natural waterways.
- Material finishes are low-VOC, PVC free and carbon neutral.
- Double-glazing through the office to improve the thermal efficiency of the office.
Frasers Property Australia has developed over 1,500,000 sqm of office and industrial buildings that are certified or registered under the GBCA’s Green Star rating system. The company has achieved Australia’s first Green Star Performance (Operational) rating for its portfolio, the first 6 Star Design & As Built certified industrial facility in Australia and Australia’s only industrial estate with all developments having achieved or targeting a 6 Star Green Star rating at its Horsley Drive Business Park. The company is committed to delivering a minimum 5 Star Green Star rating on all new industrial and commercial developments that are to be retained by the group.
1This figure is based on calculated energy demand for a 5 Star Green Star industrial facility with energy efficiency measures including a 100kW solar array, high efficiency LED lighting and motion sensors. An electrical tariff rate of $0.12/kWh has been assumed. A standard building is based on a warehouse facility that meets the Building Code of Australia 2016 requirements.